Tuesday, May 29, 2012

“Bring Dessert”


As a person with celiac disease, I try to help out the hostess by offering to bring something if I have been invited to dinner or to a beach house or wherever.  Part of that is common courtesy and part of that is to ease the host family’s fear of coming up with some dish that is gluten-free so that I can eat it.

This past weekend, we spent the night out in Montauk and I was asked to bring dessert.  I got my inspiration at Stop & Shop in their seasonal section!  They had everything all set for S’mores, the store even had a cute tray and the special S’mores sticks for the BBQ.  The only extra work I had was making sure to purchase gluten-free graham crackers for the two of us on a gluten-free diet.

This was a lot easier than trying to pack a pie or cupcakes or a cake for the drive out to the beach.  Because it was so hot, the chocolate was melty to begin with when we made these and they were completely a gooey mess.  The Jumbo Marshmallows were showy, but in my humble opinion, it was just way too much melty marshmallow per S’more…stick to the regular size marshmallow for the right proportion of ingredients.

Everyone had to have one! I wish I had taken photos of the hands and faces that were covered with melted chocolate and marshmallow when we finished up.

Kendall Egan

3 comments:

Shannon W. said...

Jet-Puffed Marshmallows, at least in Canada, are not gluten-free. Fun idea though.

allison said...

I can't even say how much I love S'mores! What a fantastic dessert idea. I'm curious, how were the cinnamon cookies in lieu of the graham crackers? Reading this post, I had my fingers crossed that somehow, the HoneyMaid grahams would turn out to be GF and I had just missed it, but alas, they're still made with enriched wheat flour, as always. I'm looking forward to trying the Kinnikinnick S'moreables...hopefully they hold up just as well as regular graham crackers. Have you ever tried them?

Gluten-Free Living said...

Jet Puffed Marshmallows do not have any gluten containing ingredients as far as I can see, I have comfortably used them for years!

I used the Josef's Graham style cookie and they were terrific, but I have also used the Kinnikinnick Graham style cookies and they were great too!

I think the oozy, melty chocolate combined with the grilled marshmallow is what makes a S'more work...the cookie is just there to keep all the stuff off your hands!!!